Thursday, February 13, 2014

New winter growth: #tenmetrediet

So, I've managed to protect my two fruit-bearing shrubs over the winter months. I feel like this has been a huge accomplishment considering my balcony was closed for the majority of the growing season last year, I purchased these two scrawny little sale plants at the end of the season, and I moved them from sunny Chatham, Ontario to the frigid north. It's stressful moving this many degrees of latitude. Trust me, I've been there.

First off, my blueberry plant.There are new leaves at the tip of each branch.


There are also many new axillary buds. I don't know much about the growth form of a blueberry bush, so I'm not quite sure how it will flower yet. Along with these little buds there are many new branches growing from the base. I forgot to take a good picture, but I'll try to remember to post one on the next sunny day.


Second, my lime tree. This little guy has already produced fruit twice! And now there are many new white flowers. Unfortunately, there aren't many pollinators inside at the moment. I noticed today that the flowers have bloomed. We'll see if any new little limes appear.



So far I have eaten one mini lime, two full-sized limes, and there are three more on the shrub. I'm just leaving them there until I want to eat them. They are ripe, but they change and grow very, very slowly. I think they should be fine for a while longer.

I have to say that I am pretty chuffed with my ability to produce citrus fruit on a balcony in Scarborough, Ontario. I think 2014 is going to be a big year for me in the field of urban agriculture because these little green gems are pretty inspiring.



No comments:

Post a Comment