Thursday, June 13, 2013

Looking Back.

This weekend I will be attending my first board of director's planning retreat for the North American Native Plant Society (NANPS). The retreat is held every June to ensure that we are collectively guiding NANPS down the right path and remaining dedicated to the study, conservation, cultivation, and restoration of North America's Native Flora. I am really looking forward to learning more about the society and getting to know my counterparts a little better.

In order to prepare for the retreat, I have been reading everything I can find about the society. I may have mentioned before that I have been following the work of NANPS for several years now; throughout most of my education and career. Tonight I've been reading Silver Memories - A Personal History Dedicated to the Society on its 25th Anniversary by Jim French, one of the founders and the honourary president of NANPS. This document has many interesting stories about NANPS over the years and I have certainly gained some insight into the great work of the NANPS volunteers since 1985. I really like the part about how Sir David Attenborough became the Honourary Patron of NANPS.


Over the years, I've been involved with a few different not-for-profit groups and organizations. I am always so interested in the history of these groups and learning about the people who came before me. It's important to be able to understand how groups have evolved and how decisions have been made over the years so that the current board of directors and members at large can stay true to the path and keep the momentum moving forward.

There's a lot to learn and I am very excited to see where this new endeavour takes me.

Ever Onward.


No comments:

Post a Comment